We may think we’re clear about our goals when we say: “I want to be happy”, “I’d like to be healthier” or “I want to be successful”. But are these specific goals? Not really.
We need to be specific when it comes to goal setting because, if our goal is stated vaguely, our attempts at achieving it will also be imprecise. We may run the risk of not being able to focus well on achieving our goal, not for lack of enthusiasm, but due to lack of clarity. We may end up wasting precious time and effort in well intended actions that may lead us nowhere. Getting clear about our goals is one of the most efficient and practical things we can do for ourselves!
There’s a practical NLP technique for setting goals: The Outcome Specification Model. NLP stands for Neuro-linguistic Programming, which basically refers to a group of ideas and techniques that can help us clarify our goals and set a fruitful course of action to reach them.
NLP’s Outcome Specification Model recommends the following guidelines for setting a goal:
1. Define your goal in positive terms: state what you do want, not what you don’t want.
2. Have a self-directed goal: make sure you are the one responsible for taking action.
3. Honestly ask yourself if something stops you from pursuing this goal wholeheartedly.
4. List all personal resources that you already have which can help you achieve your goal.
5. Become aware of additional resources that you may need to acquire in order to reach your goal.
6. Evaluate your social context: how would achieving the goal affect others in your life?
7. Specify which actions you will need to take in order to achieve your goal.
8. Establish the first step needed to begin working towards your goal. When will you take it?
9. Considering everything listed above, is this goal really worth the effort?
For more information about NLP, or if you would like to dive deeper into a particular goal of yours, contact me or any other NLP Practitioner for a session.
FABIOLA GIRALDO, M.PSY
Certified Master NLP Practitioner and Certified Trainer of Neuro-Linguistic Programing
Certified Life Coach
Hypnosis, Mindfulness & Reiki Practitioner If you like to get in touch with Fabiola click HERE